The world screams to us as women that we need to make ourselves and our desires a top priority, get what’s ours, take well-deserved “Me Time”. I don’t agree with this message because it wants us to be self-centered, selfish, and worldly. I don’t think that it lines up with God’s desire for us.
But I also don’t think He intended for us to feel trapped, tired and resentful of being “stuck at home”. (I really hope I’m not the only one who has uttered the words “But I’m stuck at home all day…”)
Of course I love being at home with my children. I adore being present for all those precious milestones, and being able to serve my husband when he arrives home each day. But I’m no saint. I need some time-out every once in a while to freshen me up and keep me going.
Here are some (almost) free ideas to relax, rejuvenate, and refresh yourself!
- Take a long, hot shower.
- Paint your toenails.
- Spend and hour reading a book or magazine you’ve been meaning to read, but haven’t had the time.
- Take a seat at the mall and enjoy watching the people shopping.
- Take a bubble bath.
- Sit with a cup of hot coffee or tea, clear your mind, and savor each sip.
- Take a nap.
- Do an at-home face mask.
- Watch a chick flick. Cry if necessary.
- Go for a walk.
- Buy (or make) your favorite dessert and enjoy it during nap time or after the kids are in bed.
- Go window shopping.
- Call an old friend and catch up.
- Go for a drive. Enjoy the scenery.