Cleaning the house while the children are growing is like shoveling snow while it’s still snowing. – Erma Bombeck
(Of course it’s still important that we clean and pick up as caretakers of the home.) If you struggle with having a house littered with toys, sippy cups, books, and whatever else the kids drag out, try getting everyone’s attention, setting a kitchen timer for ten minutes, and encouraging everyone to pick up toys/books/clothes/whatever is lying around for the entire ten minutes.
- Ten minutes can make a huge dent in a cluttered living space.
- Children learn that every family member can pitch in to keep the house straight.
- A few “clean up sprints” throughout the day can help mom not feel overwhelmed by her surroundings.
- It can seem like a fun race-against-the-clock game for small kids.
- Maybe enjoy a “treat” after the clean up sprint– a short video, play dough time, computer game time, sticker on a chart, etc.