In light of the recent disaster in Haiti, my heart is spinning wondering how we can live out biblical ideas like that of James 1:27…
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.
If we truly love the Lord, and are “Christians” (aka followers of Christ), how should we respond to such a crisis?
1. Pray. Of course we should beseech the Father to move on behalf of the people of Haiti, but often times we aren’t sure how to pray for such a big, overwhelming problem.
- As you read news articles, pray for specific situations and problems which are mentioned.
Dear Lord please touch the Ben Avon sisters and all the precious babies in their care. I pray that You would provide a way for this entire group to get out of Haiti today. I pray that You would help them to find food and water for all the children.
- While looking at pictures, pray for the people in the picture.
Jesus, I pray for this woman in the pink head covering. Savior, please wrap Your arms around her today and give her peace as only You can. I pray that You would provide a loving person to share Your Good News with her, and that You would open her heart to You today. Only You can heal a wounded soul…
- Learn about Haiti. Operation World by Patrick Johnstone and Jason Mandryk, is an excellent resource of specific and ongoing prayer requests for the world broken down country by country.
- Use Scripture as prayers to the Father for this devastated nation:
Dear Father in Heaven, I pray for the nation of Haiti today as they sit in utter destruction. I thank you for the promise of Psalm 9:18 “the needy shall not always be forgotten, and the hope of the poor shall not perish forever.” Thank you for not forgetting the needy in Haiti today. I ask, Jesus, that you would restore hope to them even in the midst of insurmountable chaos and seeming hopelessness.
2. Give. There are many ministries with hands already helping in Haiti. Opening your wallet or checkbook is a great way to help these ministries help those in need in Haiti. Not sure where to find a ministry in Haiti? Check here:
3. Think Long Term. Yes, we are all ready to jump in and help today while the pictures on CNN are fresh, and the news stories keep coming… what about in a month? Six months? A year? How can we be planning to help in Haiti long-term?
- Sponsor a Compassion child.
- Adopt a Haitian child.
- Do something other than “just” writing a check
- Make lifestyle changes to join God in what He’s doing around the world.
All photos from a trip Hubby and I took to Haiti in June 2006.